Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Why Am I Doing This?

The past few months have been a struggle for me.  I feel guilty admitting that, but its true.  I finally have my dream life, and I feel like I'm not doing anything.  Let me back up a bit.  Last year I was a single mom.  I worked full time; 40 hours a week.  I also went to school full time, taking 12-14 credit hours a semester, even in the Summer.  On top of all that, I was raising 2 kids on my own.  Life was crazy to put it simply.  I would never chose to go back to that life, but the good thing about it was that I didn't really have time to analyze what I was doing and why.

Since then I got married.  We moved to a small town in Idaho, where there is not really much of anything to do.  I quit my job when we moved, and am taking a break from school.  Both of my kids are in school now. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE being a stay-at-home mom.  I love being able to actually spend time with my kids.  I love that my house is clean.  I love being able to have lunch with my husband almost every day, just the two of us.  I love that things like doctor appointments don't involve trying to work around 50 different schedules.  The only problem is that I feel like I'm not accomplishing anything.

After much consideration I decided that I need to focus more on what I am doing right.  I think my biggest problem is that there is no real gauge that tells you that you are doing a good job of being a wife and mom.  At work I used to get regular performance reviews.  At school I got grades.  No one tells you, "Hey great job cleaning that bathroom," or "Way to go, you fed your kids 3 square meals today!"

So, I have 3 main things I hope to accomplish here:
1. Give my self a sense of accomplishment by actually writing down fun things I did with my kids.
2. Keep a record for my kids of their childhood.
3. Maybe give other moms some ideas of things they can do with their kids.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you have a blog again. Yours was always one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emily! I love reading your blog also.

    ReplyDelete