Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Fun With Shadows

Way back on Groundhog Day, we did a shadow experiment for our Science Saturday.   As always, we started out by making hypothesis.  As always, my kids were smarter than I expected.  On this one, they both knew that their shadows would move as the day went on.  I asked Lincoln why first and he said because the Sun is moving across the sky.  I said he was correct, and Savannah was quick to point out that technically he was not correct, that the Earth was moving around the Sun.  Sometimes we get to do the experiment just for the fun on the hands on experience, not for learning.

Anyhow, first we went outside and they traced around each other's feet, then shadows.  Lincoln struggled with this, and it was freezing, so I helped to make it go faster.


Then we went inside for a few hours.  When we went back out, they had to put their feet back exactly where they were before (that's why we traced around the feet first) and we traced the new shadow.  (please ignore my messy yard, it was February.)


No comments:

Post a Comment