Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Harriet the Spy


Planning a movie night around Harriet the Spy was hard for me, because I haven't seen the movie since I was a kid.  Luckily, Wikipedia is my friend and one of my (human) friends reminded me that Harriet eats tomato sandwiches every day in the movie.

We started out by making spy journals.  I gave the kids each a stack of about 5 sheets of plain white paper.  They folded them in half, making a book, and we stapled it.  Then they decorated them however they wanted.  I wish I had taken a picture, because they were really cute!  Then we played I Spy, you know the game where someone says "I spy with my little eye, something that is__________" and everyone has to guess what it is.  We actually played I Spy while we ate dinner.

For dinner, we did tomato sandwiches.  Savannah was thrilled since tomatoes are her favorite food.  The rest of us were not so thrilled, so I cheated and did BLTs for Michael and I and just a bacon sandwich for Lincoln, who hates tomatoes and lettuce.  We had grapes on the side, because that was the only fruit or veggie I could come up with to put with a character's name.  For our drink we had Sport's Sprite, which was really just regular Sprite.  I wanted to do spiral cookies for desert, but I didn't like any of the recipes I found online, so I improvised.  I started out with a sugar cookie mix, and mixed it according to directions.  I took half out, and added a jello pack to the other half, making it green and lime flavored.  Then I rolled them both out, stacked them, rolled them together and sliced the cookies.  Some of them I rolled the edges in sprinkles, but I ended up not liking them that way and left the rest non-sprinkled.

No comments:

Post a Comment